Monday, August 19, 2013

"Butch Gardens, Episode 14" by Mocha Tchokha Rose

            (ANNIE comes back to the singing place.)

ELINOR RADLEY
So you’re back for the story of “Butch Gardens”?
I say, you’re back for the story of “Butch Gardens”?

ANNIE
Yes, ma’am!  I say, yes, ma’am!

ELINOR RADLEY
Then listen up!

            (Drumming and scatting stops.)

                    ELINOR RADLEY (Continued)
Once there was a vile entrepreneur named Boo Radley.  He wanted a son.  But he had a daughter, Elinor.  And that was me.
            (Tears in her eyes)
Do you understand now?

GRACE
            (Rising to her feet, moved to confess)
I used to think I wanted to be a man!
            (To those around her)
They become men now, you know---

GEORGETTE
That’s a different thing---

GRACE
I don’t know.  But, if I could have, would I have?

GEORGETTE
No.

GRACE
I can’t be sure, Georgette.  I just can’t be sure.

            (ELINOR RADLEY is glaring vilely.)

ELINOR RADLEY
This resting fermata is not for you---

FOOFEE
            (Whispering to the COUNTESS)
I feel a dance coming on . . .

            (COUNTESS VAN DER CAVE has fallen asleep.)

            END OF EPISODE 14.