Monday, May 13, 2013

Epilogue to "The Trial of Westward Ho": "Overheard Voices IV"

            (My teacher says that overheard voices can be more interesting than what we
            make up ourselves. I doubt it.)

MAN
Class, this woman would like to speak to you.

OLDER WOMAN
I have a blog.  It used to be my son’s.  Yes, the one you know.  I need someone to take charge of it.  I have no head for writing---though I might have written a play or two.  I need a writer.  I will not pay.

            (All the PUPILS, in eager foolishness, raise their hands.  The OLDER WOMAN
            selects a YOUNG WOMAN.)

                   OLDER WOMAN (Continued)
You, with hair like a man.  Your lines are biting.  I like you best.

YOUNG WOMAN
My girlfriends said it was my lucky day.

            (The other PUPILS seethe in their envy.)

            END OF EPILOGUE.

            END OF “THE TRIAL OF WESTWARD HO.”