Monday, January 28, 2013

"The Trial of Westward Ho, Part IV"

SUNNY
Mother, I don’t know that I didn’t write a play called “The Provinces.”

            (MRS. HO chokes on her tea.)

MRS. HO
Surely, you wrote no such thing.  Your skills lie in physics, not writing.  I have read your writing.  It is a dog’s writing.

SUNNY
Mother.  I thought “The Provinces” captured my feelings well.  My weeks away were a challenge to me.  It was difficult going, finding a husband and coming home.  The plays are my thinking.  They are my writing.

MRS. HO
You keep such statements to yourself.  When Mr. Baldhawk calls you to the stand, you will say that you never wrote such a thing, that you do not write, that you cannot write worth a dog.

SUNNY
Mother, you are approaching disrespect.

MRS. HO
I am approaching truth, and you know it.

            (SUNNY gulps.)

            END OF PART IV.