Monday, July 23, 2012

"The Fateful Dream" by Westward Ho

            (Marching.)

SOLDIER 1
I had a dream last night.

SOLDIER 2
Don’t tell---

SOLDIER 1
A whirl of smoke and guns and color---

SOLDIER 2
Enough---

SOLDIER 1
A giant bayonet came---

SOLDIER 2
A giant bayonet?

SOLDIER 1
And pushed me in a grave.  What does it mean?

SOLDIER 2
            (Shrugs)
It can mean many things.

SOLDIER 1
Will I die today?

SOLDIER 2
Possible.  More likely, you had the dream to show your fear of the day’s battle.

SOLDIER 1
I’m not---

SOLDIER 2
Your dream says otherwise.  But, because you had it, you’ll reflect back on your fear.  And since you have something to reflect on, you’ll likely live.

SOLDIER 1
Really?

SOLDIER 2
Now, I’m more likely to die.  You’ll think back:  “I told Tommy; and, that very day, he got killed.”

SOLDIER 1
No.

SOLDIER 2
Quite possible.  Or, I suppose, you might get killed; and I might think back on this exchange we’re having right now.  Regardless, one of us dies.

SOLDIER 1
No.

SOLDIER 2
Which is why I wish you’d kept your dreams to yourself.

            (Marching.)

            THE END.