Monday, July 16, 2012

"Sunny Is Back from the Provinces" by Mrs. Ho

MOTHER
Sunny is back from the provinces.
A mother says veloo.
Sunny is back with a man friend.
A mother says veloo.
Sunny, you were gone so long:
Join me in my called-for song.

MOTHER and DAUGHTER
Veloo.  Veloo.

MOTHER
And your man friend?

DAUGHTER
He is very kind.  But we must not talk of him yet.  How are you?  And my brother?

MOTHER
We have missed you.  I am making a meal for you.  Can I husk this corn?

DAUGHTER
Let me help.

THE MAN FRIEND
I would also like---

MOTHER
No, no.  We will do it.

            (They husk quietly.)

                   MOTHER (Continued)
            (To THE MAN FRIEND)
My son is in the other room.  You should meet him.
            (Quietly, to DAUGHTER)
You think?

DAUGHTER
            (Under breath)
As well now as ever.

            (THE MAN FRIEND leaves.)

MOTHER
You must tell me about him.

DAUGHTER
First, about you.

MOTHER
What?

DAUGHTER
I know what you are doing.

MOTHER
What do you mean?

DAUGHTER
This cuts too close to the bone.  It is too close to life.

MOTHER
Veloo.

            THE END.