Monday, March 18, 2013

"The Trial of Westward Ho, Part XI"

             (Rome, the Renaissance.  The POPE unfolds a strange letter, airmailed from a 
            later date.  After reading, he raises his eyes from the paper.)

THE POPE
What is the meaning of this?  Cardinals?

            (Men in red flutter in.)

                  THE POPE (Continued)
Cardinals, what is this missive?  Who gave it me?

THE CARDINALS
            (Twittering)
’Twas not we!  ’Twas not we!

THE POPE
Sons whom I call my nephews?

            (The SONS mosey along.)

THE SONS
Shhh, Pops.

THE POPE
I am too old to care.  Did one of ye---one of ye ingrates---write this?

THE SONS
Never!  Where’s a mirror?

THE POPE
My fool?

            (A FOOL pops out of a butter churn.)

THE FOOL
Pop goes the jester!

THE POPE
Wrotest thou this?

THE FOOL
Now, Popey-pie . . . you know I don’t write.  But if you’ll grumble a bit less and read a bit more, you’ll see ’tis from a lady from the future; and she wants you to try her sons.

THE POPE
I’ve sons enough---

THE SONS
Nephews, you mean.

THE FOOL
Try as in court of law, sir Popey-Wopey, good sir.

THE POPE
I see.

            (He bites at an odd root.)

                  THE POPE (Continued)
Sith I am old, I’ll to it.

            (THE FOOL juggles, the SONS hide, the CARDINALS sing.)

            END OF PART XI.