Monday, February 20, 2012

"The Waitress's Tale" by Westward Ho

            (A WAITRESS stands behind the counter, wiping smudges from water glasses.)

WAITRESS
            I remember when I come home from the plant one day, and Papa he sits in the parlor with a man-friend of his.  Papa says to me, “Archaeopteryx”---yes, that is my name; I know it’s weird---but he says, “Archaeopteryx, this is Mr. Aegisthus.”  And I say, “It is nice to meet you, Mr. Aegisthus.” And I confuse and wonder to myself, “Why takes Papa such care to show me this man?”  Later Papa asks me how I like Mr. Aegisthus.  I say that he seems a fine man; and Papa says, “Good.  You will be his wife.”
            I had not expected this.  I had only eighteen years---life starting to begin---not wanting a husband.  And, also, I hope to choose my own husband.  But I was afraid.  We Greeks respect our parents and respect their wish.  But I could not see myself tied down to an old, bald, fifty years-old friend to my father.  So I beg to Papa, “Papa, please not force me to marry Mr. Aegisthus.”  He thought I joked.  He said, “Nonsense, Archaeopteryx; all women marry.”  But I say, “Papa, I cannot marry Mr. Aegisthus.  Because I love Ralph.  I want to marry Ralph.”  Then Papa becomes very angry.  He forbid me to see Ralph:  “You not going to go near that boy, Archaeopteryx; you quit your job at the plant.”  And so I do.  And Papa says, “Archaeopteryx, if you not content to fowl my wishes, then you shall never marry.”  I plead and plead.  But was no use.
           I thought one day that maybe I will run off with Ralph.  He come to the house one evening after I had quit the plant, and Papa was sleeping.  Ralph he says, “If your family is unfair then it is necessary to leave it and fowl your dream.”  I was agreeing with him at that moment.  But as I had one foot past the door, I remembered to myself that Mama was still sick with the streptococcus and that Papa surely cannot care for her, and my brother Coelacanth was married and had a son just born---so he, too, had no opportunity to care for Mama.  So I send Ralph away.
            Later, he forgot me.  I hear that he married a woman from the plant.
            (Pause)
            It is a shame, I think.  Often I wonder how different my life will have been if I run away with Ralph.  It had been difficult, but I doubt a great deal that I would still now be working at a cheap coffee shop. 
            And, too . . . I hear a year ago that Ralph he die of a heart attack.  And it makes me think that maybe I am better off for never being wife to him, seeing that his wife now she has a lot of heart pain. 
            And there is times, too, when I think that I should have obeyed Papa to marry Mr. Aegisthus.  He is dead a long time---but no matter since I never loved him.  And maybe it had been worthful just to have children.  I love children.  And the best part is that they grow to be adults that can help and befriend you.
            Then again, Terrence, my brother Coelacanth’s younger boy, was killed in an automobile crash; and he and Shirley were very sad.  They came to my apartment in the center of the night and cried, “Terry . . .  my little Terry is dead.”  Terrible.
            (Pause)
            I never see heart pain like that.  But I never see joy. 
            I was invited to one of Coelacanth's sons’---the chemist’s---graduation, because Coelacanth died two weeks early and Shirley had his ticket.  And Bart won a prize or something and must give a speech.  Now, he is no good talker---is always shy---but when he spoke, why, Shirley she had tears of joy in her eyes.  Just two weeks ago, she weeped at my brother’s funeral and, now, she weeps for joy.  And I think, maybe children is the key to happiness.  One can forget all his woes and . . . see the future in them.
           But I depress me.  Why think only of miserableness when there is no means to change?  I shall wake happy and forget everything.  And working as a waitress helps me to forget me.  I see the problems of others and not think that I have it so poor.

            THE END